James R. Thompson | Partner
James R. Thompson’s practice focuses primarily on complex business and civil litigation, including contract and partnership disputes, real estate and insurance cases. He also has experience in white-collar criminal matters, including federal and state investigations and trials. Mr. Thompson also leverages his extensive litigation experience relating to business and contract disputes to assist companies as outside general counsel. An advocate who works to find a smart resolution in his clients’ best interests instead of simply litigating for the sake of the litigating, clients seek Mr. Thompson’s expertise in crafting creative, forward-thinking and economical solutions to resolve disputes.
Mr. Thompson received his B.A., with honors, from San Diego State University. He earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of San Diego School of Law. He is admitted to the State Bar of California, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Central, Eastern and Northern Districts of California.
Prior to starting Greeley Thompson LLP, Mr. Thompson was a partner in the law firm Perez Vaughn & Feasby, Inc. and was the principal of The Law Offices of James R. Thompson representing individuals and corporate clients on legal issues including contract disputes, partnership disputes, real property disputes, probate litigation, and personal injury claims. Before opening his own firm, Mr. Thompson began his career at Seltzer Caplan McMahon Vitek in San Diego as a member of the firm’s litigation practice group.
- Successfully represented company with intellectual property assets in licensing agreement(s) with various third parties throughout the world.
- Successfully represented family members who had been disinherited in probate litigation venued in Orange County resulting in a seven-figure recovery for clients.
- Successfully represented members of a single purpose entity holding commercial real estate against title insurance company.
- Successfully represented company in suit against former Chief Executive Officer who had defrauded the company out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- Successfully represented commercial real estate landlord in an unlawful detainer action through trial; obtained an order evicting tenant and an award of landlord’s attorney’s fees in the action.
- Routinely provides advice to landlords and developers in all aspects of their respective businesses, including drafting agreements and litigating disputes.
- Represented employee client in a breach of oral contract case arising from the purchase of ten percent (10%) of a forty percent (40%) membership interest in a limited liability company; on the trial team that obtained a unanimous jury verdict (12-0) for client, and payment in full of a substantial judgment.
- Represented one of the largest health service providers in the country – along with its affiliated companies – in defense of multi-million dollar civil litigation involving allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and violations of the California Unfair Business Practices Act.
- Represented large insurer in claim for contribution by another insurance company in complex litigation; obtained dismissal of action on summary judgment.
- Represented a national insurance company in defense of complaint alleging bad faith.
- Defended general contractor from tort claims arising out of a catastrophic injury resulting in a double amputation.
- Successfully represented spouse in a high net worth family law matter through nine-day bench trial and post-judgment proceedings to enforce the judgment.
- Represented members of a limited liability company against claims brought by former president alleging breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract; on the trial team that obtained jury verdicts in three separate trials rejecting all claims brought by plaintiffs.
White Collar Criminal Defense and Investigations
- Assisted in the defense and investigation of claims that a multi-national corporation violated Cal-OSHA safety laws.
- Represented clients accused of defrauding the United States in a Qui Tam proceeding.
- Assisted in the defense and investigation of national insurance company for violations of federal law resulting in settlement of case before indictment.
- Assisted in the defense and investigation of client employed by one of the world’s largest aerospace companies against conspiracy allegations made by the United States Attorney’s Office; United States Attorney’s Office elected not to prosecute.
- Super Lawyers Rising Star 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Named by the San Diego Business Journal as “Best of the Bar 2016”
- Nominated as a Top Young Attorney by the San Diego Daily Transcript in 2011
Civic and Professional Activities
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego County Bar Association
- The Title Insurance Newsletter: Lender’s Failure to Disclose Side Agreement Makes Subordination Agreement Unenforceable, Foils Equitable Subrogation (co-authored by John Hershberger), September 2013
- J.D., University of San Diego, 2008, cum laude
- B.A. (History), San Diego State University, 1999, (With Honors)
James R. Thompson
(619) 766-5841 office
(619) 600-0065 direct
+1 (619) 766-5841
Call us for inquiry
Drop us a line anytime!
2550 Fifth Avenue, Suite 515, San Diego, CA 92103